Thursday, March 17, 2011

An Update on Selah's IV Issues

Oh my goodness, my poor baby girl has been through SO, SO much in the last 6 hours!!!  Below are my Facebook status updates, which began at 5:04AM, although Selah's IV went bad at 4AM, so this whole ordeal really started at 4AM. :-(
Lorraine Immel Patterson Thursday, March 17, 2011, 5:04AM
Need prayers that they can get an IV in Selah. Poor baby's IV went bad, and after 4 attempts and an hour of screaming, still no IV.
Lorraine Immel Patterson  Thursday, March 17, 2011, 5:35AM
They're fixing to try again on IV. Please pray
Lorraine Immel Patterson  Thursday, March 17, 2011, 5:38AM
Never mind. I asked if they could wait an consider a pic (sp?) line with pic team at 8 am. Pic team is much more skilled and if they could do a pic line, they could also draw labs from it instead of poking her multiple times each day!
Lorraine Immel Patterson  Thursday, March 17, 2011, 7:24AM
Trying again for an IV now.
Lorraine Immel Patterson  Thursday, March 17, 2011, 7:29AM
Not successful. Trying once again. This is nauseating. Poor baby girl.
Lorraine Immel Patterson  Thursday, March 17, 2011, 7:32AM
Selah has 3 nurses holding her down with blood running all over her arm and sheets as they're hunting for a vein. Sickening.
Lorraine Immel Patterson  Thursday, March 17, 2011, 7:36AM
They're doing this under sonogram and still can't get it. Selah's just screaming in pain. Lord, why?
Lorraine Immel Patterson  Thursday, March 17, 2011, 7:52AM
Not successful. I am going to refuse any more attempts. She needs a PICC line, done under anesthesia. My poor baby girl. Pray they'll get orders approved to do this, pray I'll know before Selah is wanting a bottle bc she can't have any formula for 8 hours prior to anesthesia. I feel sick.
Now it's 10:34AM, and I'm happy to report that Selah is finally asleep and not screaming.  Oh.My.Gracious.That.Was.HORRIBLE.  Every team of IV experts was called in, each believing they could successfully get an IV in Selah, but every single person failed.  SIX attempts in total.  Plus another team who came in after I refused no more attempts, so they just looked under sonogram and agreed not to try.  Praise God!
The neurosurgeon's nurse practitioner came in and explained that she feels it's not necessary for Selah to have an IV until she goes in for her next brain surgery, which won't be until Monday at the earliest.  She's stopping the IV antibiotics, and is no longer replacing cerebral fluid via IV that is drained through the external shunt drain.  Selah is back to being able to eat, with no chance of undergoing anesthesia again today.  Oh, and labs are only going to be drawn every couple of days now as well.  The nurse practitioner was so pleased with Selah's progress, that she also ordered vital checks move to every 4 hours instead of every 2 hours.  So, hopefully rest will come in 4 hour increments, provided the other handful of staff who pop in every 20-30 minutes will honor this new 4 hour schedule.  (I really want to hang a sign on the door that says, "SHHHHHHHH...if you are responsible for waking Selah, you are responsible to stay until you get her back to sleep.  Or play with her for the next 4 hours, without picking her up or letting her roll over, or pull at her tubes, or..."  :-)  I'm just grateful that there's a possibility we can actually have a little peace in longer increments now.  Praise God! 
Now it's time to hopefully get some rest.  Both Selah and I are exhausted.  My mommy heart is badly beaten up right now.  Flashbacks of Chrissie receiving stitches without anesthesia, flashbacks of blood squirting everywhere during codes, flashbacks of Mommy not being able to help my baby girl.  Nauseating still. 
I will fight for my new baby girl.  Grateful God has entrusted me with this precious life.  Praise God!
"Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves..."  Proverbs 31:8

No comments:

blog comments powered by Disqus