Friday, January 27, 2012

Day 12 Adventures

Kremenchuk Day 12 005

The sweet caregiver was gone when we got to the orphanage this morning.  Our facilitator explained that the caregivers work 24 hour shifts.  Needless to say, the caregiver today wasn’t so kind. Sad smile


Conner vomited again shortly after our entry into the playroom.  Even with video time, calm play, etc., when he’s rapidly force-fed prior to our arrival, it comes back up shortly thereafter. Sad smile


We had a quiet morning with the boys, but it didn’t stop us from having lots of good bonding time.  Holding, singing, rocking, and simply loving.  Matt and I treasure these times greatly.


Here’s video from our morning visit:


I video’d Cooper’s transition from the playroom back to his groupa room.  He was very tame in this video, the quietest walk we’ve had thus far.  Here’s the video:


Then, when we entered the boys’ room, the “caregiver” asked if I wanted to feed Cooper.  I reluctantly agreed, for fear that I’d be expected to force-feed him with the swiftness that the “caregivers'” do.  Well, my attempt was an epic fail. Sad smile  The caregiver handed me a PIPING hot bowl of soup, which she had mashed just prior to handing it to me.  I stuck  my finger in the soup to test the temperature, and it was so hot it burned my finger.  So, I tried to let it cool.  The caregiver hollered at me, and I tried to explain it was too hot.  She picked the bowl up off the table, put it in my hands, placed my hands and the bowl under Cooper’s chin, then took the ginormous serving spoon and placed it in my hand.  I put a small amount of soup on the spoon, then blew on it, trying to cool it before letting it touch Cooper’s mouth, but in the process, Cooper grabbed the bowl and spilled some of it in his lap, burning him. Smile  I hopped up to try to get something to clean him up as he cried, but the caregiver planted herself in my chair and force-fed Cooper the very same bowl of steaming soup.  Cooper ate it.  Poor dear, he doesn’t even seem to mind.  He’s been conditioned to this type of feeding, burning hot or not.  Matt video’d it:


We kissed the boys goodbye and hurried out the door, our hearts once again burdened for the condition these children live in, day in, day out, while we have the freedom to walk out of that prison and eat what we want to eat, how we want to eat, when we want to eat. 


We had made a lunch date with the American missionaries we were connected with in Kremenchuk.  We ate at a lovely restaurant overlooking the beautiful frozen river.  And we were able to eat what we wanted, when we wanted, as slowly as we wanted, surrounded by sunshine and joy.  It just seemed a little a lot unfair, but we have the hope that one day soon, our boys will also have this freedom.

Kremenchuk Day 12 011


While at lunch, our facilitator called to notify us that the paperwork was NOT ready at the SDA, but she spoke with our judge here in Kremenchuk, and he agreed to hear our case Monday at 2PM, as long as the paperwork is ready Monday at the SDA.  Our facilitator’s husband will travel from Kiev to Kremenchuk Monday morning, and our facilitator will go to the SDA Monday mid-day to check on our paperwork.  (The SDA usually gives these papers out around 1PM on M/W/F.)  If our facilitator is able to get the papers Monday, she will fax the papers to the judge in Kremenchuk.  (It’s about a 4 hour drive from Kiev to Kremenchuk.)  Our facilitator said it is very rare that a judge will agree to this, so we feel blessed that our judge is allowing this.  Now, just pray that the paperwork really is ready on Monday or we won’t be able to have court!!!


Kremenchuk Day 12 012

After lunch, we went back to our new friends’ apartment, where they made fresh juice using their new juicer.  We enjoyed visiting with them until it was time to head back to the orphanage for our afternoon orphanage visit.


We experienced a delightful surprise when walking the boys to the playroom.  For the first time in our 12 days here, we saw a sweet caregiver of a different groupa who was utilizing the hall space by allowing her kids to ride bikes and scooters up and down it.  Hallelujah!  Here’s the video:


We had an uneventful evening visit, which seemed to go by in a flash.  We played, sang, and captured some videos of the boys, then it was time to return them to their room.  We’ll never get over seeing kids in their cribs, crying out for someone to help them, only to see the “caregiver” roll her eyes and walk away, throwing her arms up in despair.  Oh how I wish these children would ALL have a family, or, at the very least, kind and loving caregivers who would meet their needs.  If you ever have the opportunity to go on a mission trip to an Eastern European orphanage, particularly one that houses special needs kids, I highly encourage you to do so.  It will change your life.  And your heart.

PS. Happy 14th birthday, Mattie. We are so proud of you. Always have been, always will be. We love you!


No comments:

blog comments powered by Disqus